Monday, January 20, 2014

Editing Short Stories

I spent the evening editing a couple of short stories.  They are based a future history of Mars.  There are about five or six stories that are interrelated.  I read the first one  at a Writers Under the Arch meeting last Tuesday evening.

The second short is an actual Martian Free Companies tale called "Just Another Paycheck."  That will be read for the next WUTA Big Books Group in February 2014.

The third story, The Scorpio Affair,  I'll start reading tomorrow evening at WUTA.  It'll take me about month to complete it.  It's one of my longer short stories.

But I took some advice from last week's WUTA meeting and rewrote my first story with a new ending.  I think it makes for a better short story.  The main complaint I had from readers it took too long to set up things.  It felt more like the beginning of a novel than a short story.  So I hacked and rewrote the ending.  Polar Landing is a page shorter.  But it fits in with the rest of the tales of the Red Planet better.

I edited the fourth tale, Raid on the Hellaspontes, tonight.  It's now in the queue to be read at WUTA later this year.  The fifth story, Professionals Need Only Apply, I'll work on tomorrow.

Regards,
Blake

No comments:

Post a Comment