Monday, January 20, 2014

"I'm sorry, sir. But your references are too old..."

Problem:  My employment history and references are too old.  Several of the places where I've worked have either folded and no longer in business.  Or my supervisors have retired.

Overview:  I've tried looking for part-time work the past several years.  But I keep running into the above problems.  With the folding of my most recent employer, I no longer have a verifiable employment history.  

People have suggested several options.   One was trying to contact my former supervisors to see if they'd be willing to give a reference.  Another option is going to Social Security and get a detailed work history to show when I was employed...

You ask what type of jobs have I looked for?  

I did look for a chemist/research tech last year.  Nothing came of that.  I also looked at a bagger/courtesy clerk at a local grocery store.  I've tried going for that job over the past five years with no luck.  I've also tried at Barnes and Noble as a bookseller.  And working at Lowes.  Or stocking at Toys R' Us.

Still, nothing. 

Now, I write because I know it'll be probably be the only way I ever make money.  I also have a desire to learn the French horn again and eventually teach.  But that requires money.  I'll just have to wait until I have enough of it saved up before I can continue with that...

Still, having people question your references for a menial job because they are too old is discouraging, especially in this economy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment